Monday, September 20, 2010

What is Ramadan? Spin it and win it ;)

So today marks the first event SUMA held this year. Alhamdulelah it was very successful! It was called “What’s Ramadan”? It was mainly made to educate Non-Muslims about Ramadan and Eid. Basically, we had a spinning wheel with three different colors: Red, blue, and green. Each person spun the wheel and whatever color it landed on, determined how hard the question that he/she was going to be asked. Before they spun, though, they had to read and study a bit about Ramadan/Eid from a poster made by SUMA E-board that had all the info they needed to know. If they got the question correct, they were rewarded pizza. If they were wrong, they were given the choice of taking candy or playing again (they had three tries). Alhamdulelah, I think it was definitely a success. By the time I went, the game was going on for two hours already and mashAllah it looked like many people went. We actually had many people who seemed sincere about learning and gaining info, not so much just about getting pizza or candy. Everyone was really nice too, I was soo happy :-D

One weird incident was when a guy came and tried to preach to us about his religion and claiming that we are on the wrong path and that “he will pray for us”. He also wanted to discuss many other controversial issues. I don’t usually like to participate in debates like these, cuz sometimes I feel like I am not qualified enough to speak, but alhamdulelah I was kinda sorta able to defend our beliefs. Of course, Ala G. was there to back me up, you’re awesome =) Another weird thing was when a random guy came up to Jahaan and asked her if she likes his hair. Lol. Poor Jahaan she didn’t know what to say. He had a mohawk, haha.

Other than that, and other than the reallyyyyyyy hot weather, I think everything was awesome!! It was definitely a great idea to have this event. I really pray that it was of benefit to everyone who participated. I am totally looking forward to the rest of the SUMA events this year inshAllah !! Thanks for reading everyone ;-D

2 comments: